This recipe makes a quick, delicious and hearty meal that’s sure to satisfy any night of the week. The roasted eggplant and tomatoes go great on pizza too! And the pasta/sauce combo makes a great base for other pairings – grilled chicken, broccoli, spinach, etc.
Give this recipe a try, and let me know how it goes!
Roasted Eggplant and Tomatoes + Light Creamy Pasta
For the veggies, you’ll need:
1/2 lb eggplant (I used one medium standard American eggplant, similar to the Italian variety)
1 pint cherry tomatoes (grape tomatoes work well too!)
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Ground black pepper
For the pasta, you’ll need:
Pasta of your choice
2 Tbs unsalted butter
2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 Tbs cream cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
2. Slice and chop the eggplant into bite size chunks and slice the cherry tomatoes in half. Place veggies on foil-lined baking sheet.
3. Drizzle EVOO (about 2 Tbs) on the veggies and toss so the pieces are evenly coated. Sprinkle some kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper on top.
4. Place the baking sheet in the oven, and roast for 15 minutes.
5. Take the sheet out and stir the veggies around with a spatula or wooden spoon.
6. Return to the oven and roast for another 20-25 minutes, or until the eggplant is tender and some of the pieces are caramelized.
[While the veggies are roasting, you can work on the pasta and sauce.]
7. Boil water and cook your choice of pasta according to package directions. (Save some of that starchy cooking liquid!)
8. Melt the butter in a skillet over low to medium heat. Saute garlic until slightly fragrant.
9. Stir in the cream cheese and melt.
10. Whisk in some of the water from the pasta boil, 1-2 tablespoons at a time until a light sauce forms. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
11. Take off heat, and toss your pasta in the sauce.
12. Scoop some pasta onto a plate, and top with a generous spoonful (or two, or three…) of the roasted eggplant and tomatoes.
13. Garnish with fresh chopped basil or Parmesan cheese, if you desire.